Welcome, welcome! Thanks for taking the time to read about our crazy, fun life. Look around to learn about us, our adoption story, or to find out how to contact us. Feel free to make comments (LOVE comments). We do have the comment moderator on, so if you want it private, just say so. Also, we have pass along cards. If you'd like some, just let us know! Thanks again and happy reading!

Sunday, June 19, 2011

One Quick Moment

Devin is taking a break and I am going to do a post. For those of you that are following our blog you may remember that I built a book scanner. What you may not know is that I am working on the 2.0 version of the project. This includes rails for parts to glide on and other such things. I am mainly done with it but I need to build a plexiglass box for one of the final parts.

My brother Jason was over and we had cut up some parts for the practice run at the project. I have some scrap plexiglass to find out how to get the real one together. We had cut the stuff up and I was opening the epoxy to glue the parts together. I had the epoxy in my left hand and the knife in my right hand. As I cut through the tip I decided I had not cut enough and one quick moment later I had cut open my left index finger around the knuckle.

I went over to the sink to wash the cut and when I looked down I saw something I had never seen before in my life. It was white and glistening. In case you have not figured it out yet it was my finger bone. for the nursing crowd out there it is the intermediate phalangy on the digitis secondus manus on the sinister hand. I just figured the sinister side needed some punishment.

As we where getting into the car Devin wanted to head to the ER and I wanted to go to an insta care. The second is much cheaper. I decided to call our medical tie breaker, my doctor brother Brian. He recommended the ER because I may have nicked the tendon. I relented and went to the ER. Luckily it is closer to my house. Devin normally wins these type of disagreements. (side note from Devin: Thank you so incredibly much for always being on my side for these things Brian! It's like we both have medical training or something ;o)

I walked in and the ER there was no one in front of me and they started to take my vitals while Devin checked me in. The doctor came in and looked at my finger and said I had cut my tendon 80% of the way through. He numbed my finger up and sewed the tendon and my finger back together. I was impressed with how efficient everything went. I spent more time waiting for the nurse to bring back my insurance card than I had my finger cut open. From the time I had cut my finger to the time I got back home was about an hour and 15 minutes.

I was just disappointed that Devin would not let me keep working on my book scanner. Heck She even made me type this blog post with a digit down.


Heather said...

my oldest has taught your wife how to say no.....

Jeni said...

Jared! YOUCH!!!!!!!!!! Glad you didn't cut the tendon all the way!! That could have been hazardous!! Luv you!